Department of Electronics Engineering
University of Rome "Tor Vergata"
Via Giacomo Peroni 400/402, 00131 Roma
Simone Mastroianni was born on June 25th 1982 in Rome, Italy. He graduated in Electronic Engineering (cum laude) at the University of “Roma Tre” in Rome in 2007 after completing a thesis on “Ventotene, zero emission island”. In this work he developed projects for building integrated photovoltaics and energy efficiency. He acquired skills on sustainable development for social housing through renewable energies.
In the period Nov. 2008 - June 2012 he worked as a PhD student at the Centre for Hybrid and Organic Solar Energy (CHOSE) in Rome. In July 2012 he got the PhD awarded with the European Label after spending a 6 months period in the New Energy Technologies Group at Aalto University (Helsinki, Finland). He defended the thesis: "Mismatch, Stability and Protection in Dye Solar Cells: from cell to panel".
His research activity concerns the study towards industrialization of large area Dye Sensitized Solar Cells (DSCs), their analysis and DSC module to panel optimization. Finally he is focused on DSCs' degradation under reverse bias and long term stability (cells, modules and panels) with indoor and outdoor comparisons.
He is author of numerous papers published on international journals, two patents and he held several presentations at international conferences.
Some of his publications are:
- S. Mastroianni, A. Lanuti, T. M. Brown, A. Reale, A. Di Carlo, Reverse Bias Degradation in Dye Solar Cells, APL, (2012)
- S. Mastroianni, A. Lembo, T. M. Brown, A. Reale, A. Di Carlo, Electrochemistry in Reverse Biased Dye Solar Cells and Dye/Electrolyte Degradation Mechanisms, ChemPhysChem (2012)
- S. Mastroianni, A. Lanuti, S. Penna, A. Reale, T. M. Brown, A. Di Carlo, F. Decker, Physical and Electrochemical Analysis of Indoor-Outdoor Ageing Test of Large Area Dye Solar Cell Devices, ChemPhysChem, (2012)
- Miettunen, K., Asghar, I., Mastroianni, S., Halme J., Barnes P., Rikkinen E., Lund P., O’Regan B., Effect of molecular filtering and electrolyte composition on the spatial variation in performance of dye solar cells, Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, 664, 63–72, (2012)
- Asghar, I., Miettunen, K., Mastroianni, S., Halme J., Lund P., In-situ image processing method to investigate performance and stability of dye solar cells, Solar Energy, 86, 331-338, (2012)
List of publications at